Skip to content
As an industry researcher in AI:
- I use machine learning and statistical methods to build AI applications in ophthalmology. I have also filed two patents in medical AI.
- This paper, published in the clinical journal Ophthalmology Glaucoma, uses deep convolutional neural networks to assess the visual functions of glaucoma patients based on OCT scans of the retina.
- The souce code, written in Python and Keras, Will be released as an open source package by IBM Research.
- This paper, published in the high impact journal Science Advances, uses unsupervised machine learning algorithms (implemented in Tensorflow) to solve a problem in neuroscience.
- This is an implementation of the algorithm (written in python and tensorflow).
- This is an extension of the algorithm for spherical coordinates.
As a data scientist:
- I have 10 years of experience curating and analyzing physiological and clinical data. Also experienced in the negotiation and sharing/licensing of clinical data.
- This GitHub repo is a sample project that uses classical and Bayesian methods to analyze a dataset in visual neuroscience. The code (presented as a Jupyter notebook) is written in R and the Bayesian package JAGS.
- This GitHub repo is a sample project that demonstrates the role of data science in education. I wrote an article about it.
- This gallery is a portfolio of my data visualization work.
- Topy is a package I developed for analyzing and visualizing data collected on spherical surfaces. It’s a type of type common in visual neuroscience.
Topy has been used to generate beautiful figures in several publications.
- Examples of techniques used in published work:
- Other techniques: multivariate statistics, dimension reduction, matrix decomposition… etc.
As a vision scientist and neuroscientist:
- I used electrophysiology, imaging, and computational modeling to study a diverse range of topics, including brain mapping, neuroplasticity, evolution, neuroanatomy, and the processing of visual signals.
- See my Research page for details.
As a science communicator:
- I have published a series of popular science articles about neuroscience, vision, and history of science for the Chinese-speaking community.
- I also write an English blog in my own site. An article that I posted on Medium in 2016 has accumulated more than 10,000 views.
- This article uses data science to debunk a myth about koalas.
- This is a customized theme (derived from the Pickles theme) for the Hugo static website generator. This version supports a “micro blog” format. It also supports various IndieWeb protocols. See this post for details.